The 'Duplicate' layer makes multiple copies of the layers under it in real time.
It has a single parameter, "Index" which should be exported. This is the only ValueNode that will change from one copy to the next. This exported value can then be selected in the Children dialog and Connected to the parameter(s) in the layer under the duplicate dialog which should change in the copies.
The "Index" parameter has 3 sub-parameters, "From", "To", and "Step". The value of the exported "Index" parameter varies from the value of "From" to the value of "To" is steps of "Step".
"From" can be higher or lower than "To". It doesn't matter whether "Step" is positive or negative. The steps will be in the direction from "From" to "To".
- Introduced in SVN r1267, this layer is kind of experimental and still undergoing changes.
- Cloning a duplicate layer and having one above the other (rather than having them each inside a disjoint PasteCanvas) causes Synfig to hang, since the same ValueNode will be used for the Index parameter in each of them.
- It shouldn't be possible to Disconnect the Index param in the duplicate layer, but it is.
- Maybe it would be helpful to Auto-Export the Index parameter to give the user less work to do. It can always be renamed to something memorable later.
- The layer doesn't seem to work well with PasteCanvas' parameters. Duplicating a PasteCanvas and linking the Index to its position or time offset doesn't have any effect.